In 1928, with eleven 8th grade graduates, Mrs. Bascom started a 9th grade in the old brick building. The second floor of the grade school was used as the high school. Classes were taught in mathematics, English, science, physical education, history, commercial subjects, Latin and music. At the time, the "State High-School Inspector" expressed grave doubts about the advisability of trying to extend the educational opportunities of the district. The following year, Mrs. Bascom continued the 9th grade and started a 10th grade, and, in 1930, an 11th grade. The next year, when the State High School Inspector returned, Mrs. Bascom showed him the new $140,000 high school building with its fully-equipped laboratories, gymnasium, music, typing rooms and regular classrooms. She then introduced the inspector to the 160 students in the auditorium and asked, “Do you still think it was mistake to start a high school in this district?” Shortly thereafter, he gave Bayless High School approval as a first-class high school. The first Junior-Senior Prom was held in 1932 and in May of that year the first senior class of Bayless High School - seven students - graduated. The exercises were held at the Greenville Masonic Temple on Gravois Road.